The YMCA of Easley, Pickens & Powdersville is committed to offering a high-quality swim team program with emphasis on teaching the value of competition through teamwork, sportsmanship and doing one’s personal best. We are dedicated to providing an environment where sportsmanship, team-building, character and physical fitness are promoted while participating in the sport of competitive swimming.
REGISTRATION FOR WINTER SEASON AT THE PICKENS YMCA IS NOW OPEN!
- New swimmers will have a placement evaluation with this season’s team coach. Following the placement evaluation, coaches will assign swimmers to the team that best fits their skill level and desired commitment. To sign up for a placement evaluation, please contact the front desk at your branch.
- Returning swimmers from this most recent Winter or Summer Season at either the Pickens or Powdersville Branch may contact the front desk at their respective branch to register for Winter Season directly.
Swim team participants must be part of a Family/Household Membership at the YMCA of Easley, Pickens & Powdersville.
The YMCA Piranhas Swim Team is a member of the Carolina YMCA Swim League.
For more information, please contact our Head Swim Team Coaches.
Kim McBride, Powdersville Head Coach, [email protected]
Meagan Blough, Pickens Head Coach, [email protected]
- 2022 Summer Season: April 25-July 29
- Registration for Summer Season ends June 1.
- Offered at the Pickens Branch
- 2022-23 Winter Season: September 19-March 3
- Offered at both the Pickens and Powdersville Branches
- SUPER SQUAD – $60/month
- WHITE TEAM – $60/month
- RED & BLACK TEAMS – Based on number of practice days
- 3 days/week – $80/month
- 4 days/week – $90/month
- 5 days/week – $100/month
TEAM PRACTICE SCHEDULE
- Super Squad: 2 days/week, T/Th, 4:15-5:30pm
- White Team: 2 days/week, M/F, 4:15-5:30pm
- Red Team: 3+ days/week, M-F, 4:15-5:30pm
- Black Team: 3+ days/week, M-F, 4:15-5:30pm
- Super Squad: 2 days/week, Mon/Thurs, 6:45-8:00pm
- White Team: 2 days/week, Mon/Thurs, 6:45-8:00pm
- Red Team: 3+ days/week, M-Th, 6:45-8:00pm
- Black Team: 3+ days/week, M-Th, 6:45-8:00pm
Please note that practice days and times are subject to change based on team size.
*Summer Season at the Pickens YMCA only.
- For entry-level swimmers who are new to swim team.
- Requirements: Must be able to independently swim 25 yards in both basic freestyle and backstroke.
- Focus: Learn proper mechanics and technique of freestyle and backstroke and introduce proper breathing techniques. Focus on proper techniques and building endurance to increase distance over time.
- Goals: Prepare swimmers to transition to our White Team.
- Participants may compete in swim meets, but there is no requirement for swimmers.
- Level 1
- Requirements: Must be able to swim 50 yards of freestyle and backstroke.
- Focus: Intro to breaststroke and butterfly; Learn to dive from blocks; Begin flip turns; Intro to Basic competitive swimming rules and training.
- Goals: Develop proper technique for all 4 strokes and continue building endurance and strength.
- Level 2
- Requirements: Swim 50 freestyle with proper breathing, 50 backstroke and 25 breaststroke or fly.
- Focus: Build on proper mechanics and techniques of all four strokes; Work on racing starts and finishes; Learn basic clock intervals and sets.
- Goals: Build strength and endurance to complete a 100m IM without breaking competition quality, swim 8×25 on 1:20 freestyle and backstroke.
- Swimmers may begin dry land training. White Team is considered pre-competitive, but swimmers are strongly encouraged to participate in at least 2 meets during the season.
- Requirements: Must be competent in all 4 strokes.
- Focus: Predominantly on stroke technique with the building of endurance.
- Goals: Perfect all 4 competition strokes and build strength and endurance to accommodate longer swims in both practice and meets.
- Swimmers are expected to attend at least 3 practices per week and participate in dry land training. They will set individual goals at the beginning of the season and work closely with coaches to accomplish those goals.
- Red Team will participate in all scheduled season meets.
- Requirements: Must be proficient in all 4 strokes and committed to practicing 4 days/week. Must have at least one “B” time.
- Focus: 50% stroke technique and 50% conditioning.
- Swimmers will have dry land training as well as weightlifting options. Swimmers must be committed to the team and to accomplishing the goals they set with their coach. They are the team leaders who assist with the development of the younger/newer team members.
- Black Team will participate in all scheduled meets including state meets.